Vegetable Broth Recipe
- #Makes a lot (or enough)#
- 4 leeks, trimmed, thinly sliced and washed
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 16 cups water
- 1 packet bouquet garni or
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small bunch parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper corns
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- #Now we will tell you a very easy Vegetable Broth recipe. Use this recipe only as a rough guide. Improvise with the vegetables of your choice. Whenever I boil artichokes I use the cooking liquid as the basis for a vegetable broth. And as a rule I add a tiny amount of olive oil to give the broth body, and I never use salt. A greaf improvisation is to make the broth using roasted vegetables for a richness and debth of flavor. Some of this broth can be used immediately and the rest can be frozen for future use.# Combine all of the ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Then turn the heat down and let it SIMMER uni liquid if reduced by half. Strain the stock through a sieve into another container.
- Discard the solids. At this stage you can choose to do one of two things. Either cool broth and use or return it to the pot and boil until it is reduced further more to a desired strength.
- This is especially worth to do if you are planning to use the broth for risotto or a sauce. The intense flavors enhance the taste of the sauce.
- The broth can be frozen up to 4 months and used in a variety of ways – when making soups, sauces, risotto or as poaching liquid for fish or chicken.