Tuna And Bacon Kebabs | Kebab Recipes
Getting Ahead: The tuna can be marinated and the salad and dressing prepared up to 4 hours ahead; keep the fish and salad in the refrigerator. Assemble and grill the kebabs and toss the salad just before serving. * Plus 30-60 minutes marinating time “You could use bamboo skewers, instead of the metal ones suggested here, but cover them with water and soak 30 minutes first.” Order Of Work:
- 2 1/2 lb (1.2kg) skinned tuna fillet or steak
- 1lb (500g) cherry tomatoes
- 1lb (500g) streaky bacon rashers
- vegetable oil for skewers and grill rack
- salt and pepper
- #For the marinade#
- 2 1/2 fl oz (75ml) lime juice, from 2 limes
- 2 tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- Tabasco sauce
- #For the spinach and mango salad#
- 8 oz (250 g) spinach leaves
- 1 ripe mango
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp (1.25ml) Dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 fl oz (75 ml) vegetable oil
- #This shish kebab recipe is a perfect match of tuna and bacon. Chunks of tuna are steeped in a tart marinade, then wrapped in rashers of bacon and threaded onto skewers with cherry tomatoes to be quickly grilled. A salad of spinach and mango creates a tropical presentation.# Prepare And Marinate The Tuna: Rinse the tuna with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Cut the fish lengthwise into 4 cm (1 1/2 inch) strips, then cut the strips crosswise into cubes. “Slice tuna into strips first to make neat cubes” “Cut strips into _ even chunks, so they cook at same speed”
- Make the marinade: whisk the lime juice with the olive oil, a dash of Tabasco sauce, and a little salt and pepper in a large non-metallic bowl.
- Add the cubes of tuna and toss until they are well coated with the marinade. Cover and marinate 30-60 minutes in the refrigerator. #Prepare the Salad and Dressing# Remove the tough ribs and stalks from the spinach leaves, pulling them away with your fingers.
- Wash the spinach leaves thoroughly and pat dry in a tea towel. “Blot all water from spinach leaves”
- Peel the mango with the small knife. Cut lengthwise into 2 pieces, slightly off centre so the knife just misses the stone. Cut the flesh away from the other side of the stone.
- Cut the pieces of mango flesh into neat slices. Cut the remaining mango flesh away from the stone and neatly slice, then discard the stone.
- Make the dressing: in a small bowl whisk the lime juice with the mustard, salt, and pepper. Gradually whisk in the oil so the dressing emulsifies. Taste for seasoning. #Assemble And Grill The Kebabs; Toss The Salad# Put the cherry tomatoes in the colander and rinse under cold running water. Transfer the tomatoes to paper towels to dry. “Spread out cherry tomatoes on paper towels so they will be dry before grilling”
- Cut the bacon rashers crosswise in half. Each piece should be about 6 cm (2 1/2 inches) long. Heat the grill. Brush the metal skewers and the grill rack with oil.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around each cube of tuna. Thread the bacon-wrapped fish onto the skewers, alternating the fish with the cherry tomatoes. “Bacon wrapping helps keep tuna moist and juicy” TAKE CARE: Do not pack the ingredients too tightly on the skewers or they will not cook evenly.
- Set the assembled kebabs on the prepared grill rack, in 2 batches if necessary, and grill the kebabs about 7.5 cm (3 inches) from the heat until the bacon is crisp and golden, 5-6 minutes. Turn the kebabs and continue grilling until the fish is cooked through, 5-6 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, toss the spinach leaves with three-quarters of the dressing. Spread the spinach on 8 individual plates and arrange the mango slices on top. Sprinkle with the remaining dressing. “Arrange mango slices attractively” #TO SERVE# Place a grilled tuna and bacon kebab across the centre of the spinach leaves on each plate. Spinach makes a tender bed for kebabs “Bacon is a crisp and tasty wrapping for tuna cubes” “Spinach makes a tender bed for kebabs”