Sweet-Sour Cabbage | Chinese Style Salad Recipe
The perfect refreshing side dish. TIME: Preparation takes 20 minutes, microwave cooking takes 11-13 minutes. COOK’S TIP: Vary the amount of sugar and chili pepper according to your own taste.
- 1 medium head white cabbage, about 2 lbs
- 1 small red chili pepper (use less if desired)
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsps light soy sauce
- 3 tbsps oil
- Cut the cabbage into 1/2-inch slices, discarding the core. Cut the chili pepper into thin, short strips, discarding the seeds.
- Mix all the ingredients together except the oil.
- Pour the oil into a large bowl and heat for 2 minutes on HIGH.
- Add the cabbage and the liquid and cover the bowl with pierced plastic wrap. Cook on HIGH for 9-11 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the bowl, stirring frequently. When cold, refrigerate.