Sweet Bean Wontons Recipe
Wonton snacks, either sweet or savory, are another popular tea house treat. Made from prepared wonton wrappers and ready-made bean paste, they couldn’t be more simple. VARIATION: Add a small amount of grated ginger to the red bean paste for a slight change in flavor. Wontons may also be sprinkled with sugar instead of honey. BUYING GUIDE: Wontons, wonton wrappers and red bean paste are available in Chinese supermarkets.
- 15 wonton wrappers
- 8 oz sweet red bean paste
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 tbsps cold water
- Oil for deep frying
- Take wonton wrapper in the palm of your hand and place-a little of the red bean paste slightly above the center.
- Mix together the cornstarch and water and moisten the edge around the filling.
- Fold over, slightly off center.
- Pull the sides together, using the cornstarch and water paste to stick the two together.
- Turn inside out by gently pushing the filled center.
- Heat enough oil in a wok for deep-fat frying and when hot, put in 4 of the filled wontons at a time. Cook until crisp and golden and remove to paper towels to drain.
- Repeat with the remaining filled wontons. Served drizzled with honey.