Summer Fruit Salad Recipe
GETTING AHEAD: The fruit salad can be kept in the watermelon basket, covered, in the refrigerator 6-8 hours. * plus 4 hours soaking time. ORDER OF WORK:
Prepare The Watermelon Basket
Prepare The Fruit Salad
Soak And Finish The Fruit Salad
- 1 Medium watermelon
- 6 oz (175g) Black cherries
- 8 oz (250g) Mixed berries, such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries
- 1 Honeydew or cantaloupe melon, weighing about 625g ( 1 ¼ lb)
- 2 Large peaches
- 2 Large nectarines
- #For soaking#
- 2 oz (60 g) Caster sugar
- 4 fl oz (125 ml) Freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tbsp (30-45 ml) Grand Marnier (optional)
- #When making fruit salad, the greater the variety of fruit the better, so add to the suggestions here or substitute whatever fruit is in season. If you have any leftover fruit salad, you can serve it the next day, topped with scoops of vanilla ice cream.# Prepare The Watermelon Basket: With the chefs knife, cut a thin slice from one side of the watermelon so that it sits steady on the work surface.
- Cut vertically into the melon about 2.5 cm (1 inch) from the centre of its length, cutting to the middle of the melon. Turn the melon and repeat on the other side, so that you have a 5 cm (2 inch) wide band in the centre.
- From the end of the melon, cut horizontally towards the centre, removing the wedge of melon. Repeat on the other side.
- With the small knife, cut around the flesh under the “handle” in a half-moon shape and remove it.
- Using the melon bailer, cut balls from the watermelon flesh in the bottom of the basket. Remove the seeds and put the balls in a large bowl. “Shape neat balls with special cutter” “Flick out seeds with tip of small knife”
- With the metal spoon, remove the remaining bits of flesh from the melon cavity. Chill the melon basket until serving. TAKE CARE: Do not pierce the bottom of the melon basket or the fruit juice will leak. #Prepare The Fruit Salad# Stone the cherries and add them to the bowl with the watermelon balls. “If you do not have a cherry stoner, you can scoop out the stones with the tip of a vegetable peeler ”
- Pick over the berries, washing them only if they are dirty. Hull strawberries; if they are large, halve or quarter them. Add the berries to the watermelon and cherries. “Small knife cuts hulls neatly from strawberries”
- Halve the honeydew or cantaloupe melon; scoop out and discard the seeds. With the melon bailer, cut balls from the flesh, and add them to the fruit in the bowl. “Scrape out any fibres from centre of melon along with seeds” – “Different fruit will make pretty filling”
- Immerse the peaches in boiling water in the saucepan, leave 10 seconds, then transfer with the slotted spoon to a bowl of cold water. Cut each peach in half, remove the stone, and peel off the skin. Cut each half into 6 wedges and add to the bowl. Cut each nectarine in half, remove the stone and cut each half into 6 wedges. #Soak And Finish Fruit Salad# Sprinkle the sugar over the fruit, then pour over the orange juice, and Grand Marnier, if using. Stir gently with the wooden spoon. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to soak in the refrigerator 4 hours, stirring occasionally. TAKE CARE: Stir gently so you do not break up the fruit pieces.
- Spoon the fruit salad and juice into the watermelon basket Serve chilled.