Stuffed Kohlrabi With Mushrooms
- 2 large or 4 medium kohlrabies, peeled
- 6 thick slices of white bread, crusts removed and broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 /4 cup olive oil
- 500 g / 1 lb. mushrooms, minced
- 1 egg yolk
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- A handful of parsley leaves, chopped
- #For The Topping#
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- #Kohlrabi is another new-comer in the market which I welcome. If you can’t get kohlrabi then adapt the recipe and stuff celery root or even tomatoes or zuchini or a medley of these vegatables. If stuffing each single vegetable seems like too much work at the end of a long day or if you are pressed for time, then simply slice kohlrabi into 1 cm thick slices and then cook until crisp tender. Layer vegetable slices and stuffing, ending with a thin layer of stuffing. Great with meat, fish or on its own as an antipasto.# Preheat oven to 400 °F / 200 °C.
- Cut peeled kohlrabies diagonally in half if you are using large ones. If using medium sized ones then cut a thin slice off bottom of each to stand them flat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and add kohlrabies. Cook until tender. While the kohlrabies are happily boiling in the pot, make the stuffing. Soak bread in cream and milk mixture.
- Using a fork work into a paste and set aside. I’m sure by this time the kohlrabies have turned tender. Remove from water and let cool a bit.
- Hollow out each kohlrabi with a spoon, leaving the shell about ½ cm thick. Chop the kohlrabi flesh into small pieces and add to bread mixture.
- Next sauté minced mushrooms in half of oil over medium heat until all the moisture has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper and bring to room temperature.
- Add mushrooms, egg yolk, cheese and parsley to bread mixture. Add nutmeg, taste and correct seasoning. Fill hollowed kohlrabies with the stuffing.
- Place in an oven proof dish. Sprinkle with grated cheese and bread crumbs.
- Drizzle rest of oil and pour all of broth into dish and bake for about 20 – 25 minutes basting occasionally.
- When serving spoon sauce over kohlrabi.