Squid with Herbs | Easy Fish Recipes
Squid should be cooked for the shortest possible time – overcooking makes it tough and inedible. It can usually be bought ready-prepared, but if you need to prepare it yourself, this is how you do it. Draw back the rim of the body pouch to locate the quillshaped pen and pull it out. Separate the body from the tentacles by pulling gently apart just below the eyes – the inedible head and inksac will come away together. Slip a finger under the skin and peel it away gently.
- 2 lb (1 kg) prepared baby squid
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon wedges, to garnish
- Score the squid in a criss-cross pattern arid cut the tentacles in half if they are large. Heat the oil in a wok, add the garlic and cook gently until browned, then discard. Season the squid with salt and pepper.
- Increase the heat, add the squid to the wok and cook briskly for just under 1 minute. Sprinkle with the herbs and lemon juice. Serve immediately, garnished with the lemon wedges and accompanied by crusty bread.