This dish is an old time favorite, which is very satisfying as well as being very balanced. The spinach, orzo and tomato create a tasty trio. The tomato sauce can be made ahead of time and blended into the orzo when the dish is put together.
Spinach And Orzo Pie Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk to lightly beat the eggs with
- 2 cups cooked orzo about 1 ¼ cup uncooked
- 1.5 cups Tomato Sauce with Herbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1 lb spinach leaves blanched and drained, 500 g
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese or any other hard cheese of choice, shredded
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Sea salt
- pepper freshly ground
- Cook the orzo and drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F / 180 °C.
- Lightly beat the eggs with 1 tablespoon of milk.
- In a large bowl combine cooked orzo, egg-milk mixture, 3/4 cup tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese.
- Spread mixture evenly into an oiled oven-safe glass dish.
- Next, squeeze all water out of spinach and chop coarsely.
- Mix spinach with ricotta cheese, pine nuts, and nutmeg.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon everything onto orzo mixture, spreading evenly.
- Then spread remaining tomato sauce on spinach layer.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cover the top of the pie with the shredded cheese.
- Return to oven and bake uncovered for an additional 5 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
- Allow to rest a few minutes before serving.