Spicy Corn Chowder Recipe
- 1 3/4 cups corn, canned and drained (or frozen and thawed)
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, coarsley chopped
- 4 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large red or green pepper, chopped
- 2/3 cup cream
- 1/3 cup milk or soy milk
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- #For Garnish#
- Sprigs of parsley
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- #This chunky, robust spicy soup recipe has undergone changes. It is not as spicy as the original but if you prefer spicy food feel free to add more red pepper. What can be better than making this hearty soup on a cold winter day for lunch or dinner? It is also substantial enough to make a meal on its own.# Mix corn, lemon juice and zest in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a pan over medium heat sweat the chopped onion in oil until softened. Add stock and potato. Bring to a boil. Add spices and chopped peppers.
- Lower heat and simmer until potatoes are soft. Then add the corn and lemon mixture and milk. Simmer gently until soup thickens.
- And lastly spoon in the cream. Taste and correct seasoning and throw in chopped parsley. Serve soup with a dollop of yogurt and warm crusty bread.
- Pass around hot pepper sauce and lemon halves.