Special Fish Recipes: Chinese Steamed Trout
The Chinese bamboo steamer comes in several sizes and is designed to fit inside a wok or over a saucepan. One of the advantages of the design is that several steamers may be stacked on top of each other for multiple cooking. If you do not have one of these steamers, place the food on a heatproof plate which fits into a wok with a lid. Place a strip of foil under the plate so that it can be lifted in and out of the wok.
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 rainbow trout, about 1 lb (500 g) each, cleaned
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 spring onions, shredded
- 1 inch (2 x 2.5 cm) pieces fresh root ginger, peeled and shredded
- 2 tablespoons dry white vermouth
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Mix together the sesame seed oil, soy sauce and sherry in a small bowl and use to brush the inside and the skin of each fish.
- Combine the garlic, spring onions and ginger and place a quarter of the mixture inside each fish.
- Put the fish on a heatproof plate, scatter over the remaining garlic mixture and pour over the dry vermouth and oil. Put the heatproof plate in the wok and steam vigorously for 15 minutes, or until the fish is tender.
- Arrange the fish on a warmed serving dish, on a bed of shredded Chinese cabbage, spoon over the juices and serve immediately.