Snow Peas with Shrimp Recipe | Chinese Food
- 3 tbsps oil
- 2 oz split blanched almonds, halved
- 4 oz snow peas
- 2 tsps cornstarch
- 2 tsps light soy sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsps dry sherry
- Salt and pepper
- 2 oz bamboo shoots, sliced
- 1lb cooked, peeled shrimp
- #Snow peas, peapods and mange tout are all names for the same vegetable— bright green, crisp and edible, pods and all.# Heat the oil in a wok. Add the almonds and cook over moderate heat until golden brown. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- To prepare the snow peas, tear off the stems and pull them downwards to remove any strings. If the snow peas are small, just remove the stalks.
- Add the snow peas to the hot oil and cook for about 1 minute. Remove and set aside with the almonds.
- Drain all the oil from the wok and mix together the cornstarch and the remaining ingredients, except the shrimp and bamboo shoots.
- Pour the mixture into the wok and stir constantly while bringing to the boil. Allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes until thickened and cleared.
- Stir in the shrimp and all the other ingredients and heat through for about 1 minute. Serve immediately. #TlME# Preparation takes about 10 minutes, cooking takes 6-8 minutes. #VARIATION# If using green onions, celery or water chestnuts, cook with the snow peas. #WATCHPOINT# Do not cook the shrimp too long or on heat that is too high — they toughen quite easily.