Shrimp in Hot Sauce Recipe
- 12 oz cooked unshelled shrimp
- 1 tsp malt vinegar
- 1 tsp Shao Hsing wine or dry sherry
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsps tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tsps sugar
- ½ tsp monosodium glutamate (optional)
- 1 tsp hot chili sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsps cooked oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- #A quick dish that is perfect for a mid-week treat.# Wash shrimp and drain well. Mix the seasoning ingredients together.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Heat the oil in a wok and deep-fry the shrimp for 1 minute. Remove the shrimp and drain. Keep the oil.
- Reheat the wok and add 2 tsps oil and stir-fry the onion, celery and garlic for 1 minute.
- Add shrimp and blended sauce ingredients. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the seasoning mixture. #Time# Preparation takes 10 minutes, cooking takes 6 minutes.