Seafood Recipe: Chilli Fish
- 8 oz (250 g) long-grain rice
- ½ pint (300 ml) water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 lb (500 g) fish fillets, e.g. cod or plaice, cut into 2 inch (5 cm) slices
- Flour, for coating
- ½ pint (300 ml) vegetable oil
- #Chilli Sauce#
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onion
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- ½-1 tablespoon chilli sauce
- Put the rice, water and salt into a saucepan. Bring to the boil and stir once. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- While the rice is cooking, combine all the chilli sauce ingredients in a small jug and set aside. Coat the fish with flour. Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok, add the fish and fry for 3 minutes.
- Remove the fish and reheat the oil, then return the fish to the pan to crisp it. Remove the fish, drain on kitchen paper then transfer to a warmed serving dish. Pour the chilli sauce into the wok and cook for 2 minutes then pour over the fish.