Recipes for Parties: Savoury Titbits
- #Gherkins and Smoked Ham#
- 10 thin slices smoked ham
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 10 small gherkins
- #Dates and Cream Cheese#
- 10 dates
- 1 hard-boiled egg, shelled
- 2 tablespoons single cream
- 1 (75-g/3-oz) packet full fat cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped dill ( optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped borage (optional)
- #Olives and Bacon#
- 10 thin slices streaky bacon
- 10 stuffed olives
- Sprinkle the ham with the pepper. Wrap each gherkin in a slice of ham and secure with a cocktail stick.
- Slice the dates open lengthways and remove the stones. Cut the egg in half. Sieve the yolk into a bowl, add the cream and cream cheese and stir until smooth.
- Mix in the herbs, if used. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag fitted with a small star-shaped nozzle and pipe into the dates.
- Keep the stuffed dates in a cool place until you are ready to serve them.
- Fry the bacon until cooked on both sides. Drain for a few minutes on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Wrap a stuffed olive in each slice of bacon, securing with a wooden cocktail stick.
- Return the bacon rolls to the frying pan and fry in hot fat until crisp, turning occasionally.