Recipes for Parties: Savoury Butter Slices
- 5 oz (150 g) soft butter
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice bunch chives
- 2 tablespoons grated Cheddar or Emmental cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika pepper
- 2 oz (50 g) smoked ham
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, shelled
- 1 tablespoon single cream
- 2 oz (50 g) lobster or crab paste
- 8 small slices white bread
- 2 radishes
- 4 stuffed olives
- 4 chillies
- 4 small gherkins
- Cream the butter with the salt and lemon juice and divide into three equal portions.
- Wash, dry and finely slice the chives, and mix into one grated cheese and paprika into the second portion.
- Finely dice the ham and eggs and stir into the third portion of butter followed by the cream.
- The lobster or crab paste makes the fourth topping. Spread two slices of bread with half of each, then cut the slices in half and trim off the crusts.
- Slice the radishes and olives. Cut the gherkins into a fan-shape by slicing almost to the bottom of each and spreading out the sections.
- Garnish the chive butter fingers with radish slices, the cheese and paprika butter with chillies, the ham and egg butter with gherkins and the lobster or crab paste with olives.