Recipes for Parties: Game and Mushroom Croquettes
- 1 lb (450g) mushrooms
- 4 oz (100g) ham
- Bunch parsley
- 2oz (50g) butter
- 4 oz (100 g) plain flour
- 1/4 (150 ml) pint milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/4 lb (575 g) game
- 2fl oz (50ml) Madeira wine
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 oz (100 g) dried breadcrumbs
- Oil for deep-frying
- Clean the mushrooms and cut off the tips of the stalks. Finely chop the ham and parsley.
- Melt half the butter in a saucepan, sprinkle on 25 g/1 oz flour and stir over the heat until golden.
- Gradually add the milk and simmer the sauce for 10 minutes, stirring continuously. Leave the sauce to cool slightly, then stir in two egg yolks.
- Beat the two remaining egg yolks with the egg whites. Skin and trim the game, and mince twice through the finest blade of the mincer.
- Mix the mince with the sauce, ham, parsley, 25 g/1 oz flour, the remaining butter, the Madeira, salt, pepper and allspice, and knead to form a smooth dough.
- Wet your hands and surround each mushroom with a ball of the mixture, lightly pressing the meat together. Coat the balls with the remaining flour, then the beaten egg and finally the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil for deep-frying to 180C/350f. Fry the croquettes for 6-8 minutes until brown and crispy.
- Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and leave to cool. Serve with Cumberland sauce or cranberry jelly.