Recipes for Parties: Cheese Bonnets
- 4 oz (100 g) Cheddar or Emmental cheese
- Bunch parsley
- 2 tablespoons curd cheese
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 12 thin slices salami
- 12 slices French bread
- 1 1/2 (40g) butter
- Dice the cheese very finely. Wash and dry the parsley, keep a few sprigs to one side and finely chop the rest.
- In a bowl mix the curd cheese with the mayonnaise, vinegar and chopped parsley.
- Add the diced cheese.
- Cut a straight line to the center of each slice of salami and fold the cut edges over each other to make a bonnet.
- Toast the bread and leave to cool slightly, then spread with butter.
- Place spoonfuls of bread and cover each spoonful with a salami bonnet. Garnish with parsley sprigs. #COOK’S TIP# You can make this recipe into a sandwich snack by cutting rounds from large white slices of bread using a pastry cutter. For this larger size you will need to double the quantities for the cheese salad, and to make the bonnets from slices of Mortadella or garlic sausage.