Quick Chilli Mayonnaise
- 1 small fresh red chilli
- 4 garlic cloves, or to taste
- salt and pepper
- 6 fl oz (175 ml) bottled mayonnaise
- 1 tsp (5ml) tomato puree
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- #For this quick version of the classic “rouille” or rust-red mayonnaise, bottled mayonnaise and tomato purée are added to chilli and garlic.# Cut the chilli lengthwise in half; discard the core. Scrape out the seeds and cut away the fleshy white ribs from each half. Lightly crush the garlic cloves with the flat of a knife, then peel off the skin. TAKE CARE: Wear rubber gloves to prepare chilli or it may burn your skin.
- Put the chilli halves in a food processor with the garlic, salt, and pepper, and finely chop.
- Add the bottled mayonnaise and tomato puree; work until smooth. Taste for seasoning and add cayenne pepper, if you like. Chill until serving. “Tomato purée gives mayonnaise appealing orange tinge” #TO SERVE#