Pumpkin And Ricotta Topping on Bread Recipe
- Any yellow flesh squash will work well for this recipe, such as butternut or acorn. Roasting times will vary.
- Goat, feta or mascarpone cheese would also be delicious. I have made this using a combination of ricotta and goat cheese with great success.
- Fully assembled leftovers can be reheated in a 300 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- 4 cups grated pumpkin
- A handful of parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese, crumbled
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A pinch of grated nutmeg
- 16 slices of baguette
- Grated cheese (optional)
- #The mellow taste of pumpkin paired with the cheeses is just great. Sprinkle a few red-pepper flakes if you like for a slight hint of hot spice.# Preheat oven to 400 °F / 200 °C.
- Mix pumpkin, parsley leaves and garlic in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and grate some nutmeg.
- In another bowl mix the two cheeses.
- Spread a generous amount of cheese over each slice of bread. Grind some pepper over the cheese. Top with the pumpkin mixture. Press down gently with fingers.
- Drizzle with olive oil and bake in oven until golden brown. Grind some pepper on each piece. If you wish sprinkle with grated cheese of your choice.
- Serve with lemon wedges. A squeeze of lemon enhances the flavors.