Preserved Lemons Recipe
- 8 ripe lemons, preferably with thin, shiny and unblemished skin
- Sea salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- lemon juice, enough to cover lemons in jar(s)
- #Curing lemons gives the fruit a new dimension and expands its repertoire. Stuff a preserved lemon into the cavity of a chicken to be roasted or add the puree of 1/2 preserved lemon and 1 teaspoon mustard into 2 cups mayonnaise and serve with Roasted Potato Wedges or throw in a few slices of preserved lemons into stews or puree just a little bit into a vinaigrette.# Cut lemons lengthwise into quarters but take care not to cut all the way through.
- Holding the lemon in your hand discard as many seeds as you can and then sprinkle with salt, about 1 1/2 teaspoons for each lemon. Squeeze the lemon closed in your hand and place it into a sterilised jar.
- You may also choose to divide lemons into two jars. Pack them very lightly.
- Cover all the way to the top with lemon juice. Sprinkle the sugar into the jar. Secure the lid tightly and store in the refrigerator.
- In 6 – 7 weeks the lemons will be ready to use with very soft peels. Slice, chop or purée as you like.