Pot Sticker Dumplings Recipe-Easy Chinese Foods
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsps oil Boiling water
- 3/4 cup finely ground pork or chicken
- 4 water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- ½ tsp five spice powder
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- #So called because they are fried in very little oil, they will stick unless they are brown and crisp on the bottom before they are steamed.# Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl and make a well in the center. Pour in the oil and add enough boiling water to make a pliable dough. Add about 4 tbsps water at first and begin stirring with a wooden spoon to gradually incorporate the flour. Add more water as necessary. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces and roll each piece out to a circle about 6 inches in diameter.
- Mix all the filling ingredients together and place a mound of filling on half of each circle. Fold over the top and press the edges together firmly. Roll over the joined edges using a twisting motion and press down to seal.
- Pour about Vs inch of oil in a large frying pan, preferably cast iron. When the oil is hot, add the dumplings flat side down and cook until nicely browned.
- When the underside is brown, add about 3 fl oz water to the pan and cover it tightly.
- Continue cooking gently for about 5 minutes, or until the top surface of dumplings is steamed and appears cooked. Serve immediately. #PREPARATION# The pan used for cooking must have a flat base. Do not use a wok. #WATCHPOINT# Make sure the dumplings are brown and crisp on the bottom before adding the water otherwise they really will be pot stickers!