Pesto Sauce: Walnut And Caper Pesto Recipe
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled but left whole
- 85 g walnut halves, fresh if possible
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 50 g flat leaf parsley leaves
- 200 ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for preserving
- 50 g unsalted butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- #Here is a delicious and easy pesto sauce recipe that you can prepare in a flash. Fresh walnuts have a rich creamy texture which emulsifies the pesto beautifully. If you can, try using a traditional mezzaluna for chopping – it makes light work of herbs.# Put the garlic, walnuts, capers and a little salt in a mortar, then pound with a pestle until broken up.
- Add the parsley, a few leaves at a time, pounding and mixing to a thick paste. Gradually beat in the oil until creamy and thick. Beat in the butter, season with pepper, then beat in the pecorino. Alternatively, blend all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Store in a jar, with a layer of olive oil on top to exclude the air, in the refrigerator until needed, for up to 2 weeks.
- Level the surface each time you use it, and re-cover with olive oil. To Serve: