Penne With Chilli Meatballs | Pasta Recipes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 400-g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- ½ teaspoon caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 400 g skinless beef sausages or plain beef sausages
- 400 g dried penne, or other pasta tube of your choice
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- #These hearty meatballs are ready in just 15 minutes, making them ideal for a speedy mid-week supper. The chilli flakes give them a delicious kick. Here is the Penne With Chilli Meatballs recipe.# Heat the oil in a frying pan set over high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, until softened and starting to turn golden.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar, chilli flakes and 125 ml water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Using slightly wet hands, squeeze the filling out of the sausage casings, if necessary, and shape into walnut-sized balls. Add these to the tomato sauce. Simmer the meatballs in the sauce for 5 minutes, shaking the pan often to move the meatballs around so that they cook evenly.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, or according to the packet instructions.
- Drain the pasta well and return it to the warm pan. Season the meatball sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Divide the pasta between 4 serving plates or bowls and top with meatballs. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan, then serve.