Peas With Lettuce and Onion (Petits Pois la Française)
Fresh peas vary enormously in the time they take to cook – the tastiest and sweetest will he young and just picked. Frozen peas normally need less cooking time than fresh.
- 15 g/1/2 oz/1 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small round lettuce
- 450 g/1 lb/31/2 cups shelled fresh peas (from about 1.5 kg/3 1/2 lb or thawed frozen peas
- 45 ml/3 tbsp water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. Add the onion and cook over a medium-low heat for about 3 minutes until just softened.
- Cut the lettuce in half through the core, then place cut side down on a board and slice into thin strips. Place the lettuce strips on top of the onion and add the peas and water. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan tightly and cook the lettuce and peas over a low heat until the peas are tender — fresh peas will take 10—20 minutes, frozen peas about 10 minutes.