Pasta Recipe: Ricotta, Cinnamon And Walnut Sauce
- 500 g dried pasta, such as spaghettini, linguine or rigatoni
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- 75 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or mixed spice
- 5 tablespoons chopped walnuts, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, to serve
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
- #A delicate and original starter for a party, this is more a dressing than a sauce because there is no cooking involved. It can be prepared in the time it takes to cook the pasta. The combination of savoury and sweet elements such as cheese and sweet spices dates back to Roman times.# Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, or according to the instructions on the packet. Drain well, reserving 100 ml of the cooking water and return to the pan.
- Put the ricotta, butter, icing sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir in half the reserved cooking water.
- Add the ricotta mixture to the pasta, add the remaining cooking water if needed to improve the consistency, then stir in the 5 tablespoons walnuts. Mix well until coated. Serve at once, topped with the extra walnuts and Parmesan.
- Variation Try toasted pine nuts or almonds instead of walnuts.