Pasta e Fagioli | Pasta Recipes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 potato, diced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1.25 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- a sprig of thyme, sage or rosemary
- 800 g tinned cannellini beans, drained
- 150 g small dried pasta shapes, such as orecchiette
- a pinch of crushed dried chillies
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated Parmesan heese, to serve
- #This hearty soup of pasta and beans is a classic from the region of Puglia in Italy – the pasta shapes traditionally used are orecchiette, meaning ‘little ears’.# Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion, garlic and potato and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the stock, herbs, beans, pasta, dried chillies, salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes, until the pasta and potatoes are cooked.
- Divide between 4 bowls, sprinkle with Parmesan, then serve.