Pasta Bake: Ricotta, Basil And Cherry Tomato Cannelloni Recipe
- 750 g ripe cherry tomatoes, whole
- 5 tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 300 g ricotta cheese
- 6 tablespoons fresh red or green pesto
- 12 fresh lasagne sheets
- 350 g vine-ripened tomatoes, thinly sliced (you need 24 slices)
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- A handful of basil leaves, to serve
- Green salad, to serve
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A baking dish, about 20 x 25 cm
- #This can all be assembled the day before, refrigerated and put in the oven at the last moment. You can vary the type of cheese, as long as it is a soft one.# Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F) Gas 7.
- Cut 250 g of the whole cherry tomatoes in half and set aside for the top.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the uncut tomatoes (they will splutter a little) and cover tightly. Cook over high heat, shaking the pan occasionally, for 5 minutes until the tomatoes start to break down. Uncover and stir in the oregano and sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Soften the cheese in a bowl and beat in the pesto. Put all the sheets of lasagne on a work surface and spread the cheese mixture evenly over them. Put 2 tomato slices on each sheet, season well and roll up from the narrow side like a Swiss roll.
- Spoon half the tomato sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Put the pasta rolls on top of the sauce, then spoon over the remaining sauce. Dot with the reserved cherry tomato halves and cover with foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with the Parmesan and grill for a further 10 minutes until beginning to brown. Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Top with the basil and serve with a crisp green salad. #Note# If using dried lasagne sheets, cook in boiling salted water according to the packet instructions. Carefully lift them out of the water and drain through a colander. Transfer to a bowl of cold water. Drain each sheet before spreading with the cheese mixture.