Party Food Recipes: Prawn Croquettes
- 8 oz (225g) frozen prawns
- 1 oz (25 g) butter
- 2 oz (50 g) plain flour
- 1/4 (150 ml) pint milk
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 oz (100 g) dried breadcrumbs
- Oil for deep frying
- Place the prawns in a dish, cover and leave to thaw. Drain and chop finely. Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Sprinkle on half the flour and stir over the heat until it becomes golden in colour.
- Gradually add the milk and, stirring continuously, bring slowly to the boil, when the sauce will thicken.
- Add the chopped prawns, lemon juice, salt pepper and parsley. Continue cooking for about 2 minutes until the mixture becomes firm, again stirring continuously.
- Chill the prawn mixture. Wet your hands and, on a lightly floured surface, form the mixture into a long roll.
- Cut into small pieces and shape into croquettes. Dip the croquettes in the remaining flour, then in beaten egg and finally in breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil for deep-frying to 180 c/ 350 f and fry the croquettes for about 6-8 minutes until golden brown. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and leave to cool.