Party Food Recipes: Cheese Fritters
- 12 oz (350g) matured Gouda or Cheddar cheese, in slices 2 cm/1 inch thick
- 5 oz (150 g) thinly sliced smoked streaky bacon
- 2 eggs
- 1 oz (25 g) plain flour
- 4 oz (100 g) dried breadcrumbs
- Oil for deep-frying
- #FOR THE SAUCE#
- 1 15 .9-oz (500-g) carton natural yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper generous pinch ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mixed herbs (parsley, chives, dill, a little rosemary and sage) or 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- Cut the cheese into 2-cm/ 1-inch cubes.
- Wrap each cube in a slice of bacon and secure with a wooden cocktail stick.
- Beat the eggs. Dip the cheese and bacon cubes in the flour, then in the beaten egg and finally in breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil for deep-frying to 180 c/ 350 f and fry the cubes for 4-6 minutes until golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and leave to cool.
- In a small bowl mix the yogurt with the salt, celery salt, pepper, ginger and mixed herbs. Serve the sauce with the cubes as a dip.