Pappardelle With Seafood Sauce | Easy Pasta Recipes
- 200 g Italian ‘00’ flour or plain white flour and extra flour or semolina flour, for shaping
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes, crushed
- 180 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 450 g lobster meat, from 1 kg whole lobster
- Bunch dill, chopped, about 40 g
- Bunch of chives, chopped, about 40 g
- Grated zest and freshly squeezed juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
- Sea salt and freshly crushed black pepper
- #Pappardelle is easier to make than most pastas because you simply cut it into strips with a knife.# Put the flour, eggs and sea salt flakes into a food processor. Work in bursts for about 1 minute until the mixture comes together in a crumbly mass, then into a rough ball. Knead it firmly together and remove to a floured work surface.
- Knead by hand for 2 minutes, then wrap in clingfilm and chill for 1 hour. Divide the dough into 4 parts, keeping 3 still wrapped. Starting on the thickest setting of the pasta machine, roll 1 piece of dough through, 3-4 times, folding the 2 ends into the middle each time to get a plump envelope of dough and giving it a half turn each time. Lightly flour the dough on both sides.
- Roll it through all the settings on the pasta machine, starting at the thickest, about 6 times in all, until you get a 1-metre length of pasta (cut it in half if it’s easier). Hang this over a chair or pole to air-dry. Continue the process until all the pasta sheets are lined up. Roll up each length, then slice into 2.5 cm wide ribbons (pappardelle). Unroll, dust in semolina flour, then cut each in half, to make strips about 50 cm long. Fill a large saucepan with hot water, add a pinch of salt and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, warm the oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Add the lobster meat, dill, chives, 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Heat briefly until the flavours blend well. Leave on a very low heat to keep warm.
- Add the pasta to the boiling salted water, cook for 1 ½ minutes, then drain. Tip the pasta into the sauce, toss gently with 2 wooden spoons, add the lemon zest and serve in pasta bowls. #Variation# Use 500g fresh egg pappardelle instead of making your own and cook according to the instructions above.