Orzo With Roasted-Pumpkin Recipe
- 500 g / 1 lb pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into uniform chunks
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups orzo
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup crumbled Roquefort cheese
- Toasted walnut halves
- #The orzo turns into a good vegetarian dish when served with mixed vegetables or a green salad – just ideal for lunch, It also tastes delicious cold, so leftovers are welcome.# Brush the pumpkin pieces with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Wrap in foil and roast in the oven until pumpkin is very soft.
- Cool and then place all of pumpkin along with the honey and balsamic vinegar in the bowl of a food processor. Process into a smooth purée. Pour purée Into a pot.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Keep warm. Meanwhile boil a pot of water, add salt and orzo. Cook orzo for only 5 minutes.
- Drain well and add the orzo to the pot of pumpkin purée. Cook over medium heat stirring frequently until the thick broth is absorbed.
- Taste the orzo for doneness and correct seasoning. If the orzo is too dry add more broth. It should have a soupy consistency much like a risotto.
- Spoon into warmed individual bowls and crumble cheese over the orzo. Drizzle with olive oil. Scatter toasted walnut halves over each servingof orzo.