Open Sandwich Recipe: Danish Sandwiches
- 1 oz (25 g) soft butter
- 1 slice white bread
- 1 lettuce leaf
- 1 slice Tilsit or Cheddar cheese
- 2 canned sardines
- 2 large slices tomato
- 1/2 onion
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated Emmental or Edam cheese
- Melt the butter in a small frying pan and brown the bread in it on both sides. Leave to cool.
- Wash the lettuce, dry well and place on the bread. Top with the Tilsit or Cheddar.
- Drain the sardines, lay them diagonally across the cheese and arrange the sliced tomato on top.
- Peel and finely dice the onion. Sprinkle on the tomato, followed by the salt, pepper and grated Emmental or Edam cheese. #COOK’S TIP# Danish Sandwiches can be topped with canned anchovy fillets cut into strips instead of sardines. Soak the anchovies first in a little milk, as they tend to be very salty.