Microwave Recipes: Ginger Broccoli
Ginger complements the taste of broccoli perfectly in this tasty side dish. TIME: Preparation takes 20 minutes, microwave cooking takes 7-8 minutes. COOK’S TIP: Adding the broccoli florets after the stems have been cooked is just enough to lightly warm them.
- 1½ lbs broccoli
- 2 tbsps oil
- 3-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and very finely shredded
- Pinch salt
- Pinch sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ½ cup light stock
- Dash light soy sauce
- Heat a browning dish for 5 minutes on HIGH.
- Cut off the tough ends of the broccoli stems.
- Cut the florets from the stems in small clusters.
- Peel the stems with a vegetable peeler and cut them into thin diagonal slices.
- Pour the oil into the browning dish and add the broccoli stem slices.
- Add the ginger and cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes on HIGH, stirring frequently.
- Add the florets, cover and set aside while preparing the sauce.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a glass measure. Cook, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes on HIGH until thickened. Pour over the broccoli and stir together to serve.