Lemon Sole with Oranges and Wild Rice Recipe
- 8 oz (250 g) wild rice
- 1 oz (25 g) butter
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 10 fl oz (300 ml) dry white wine
- 8 fl oz (250 ml) fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 3 teaspoons redcurrant jelly (optional)
- Clear honey, to taste 8 lemon sole fillets
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Sunflower oil, for shallow-frying
- 2 oranges peeled, cut into segments
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, to garnish
- Cook the wild rice in a large pan of boiling salted water for 40—45 minutes, or according to packet instructions, until tender.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan over a moderate heat, add the shallots and cook for 3 minutes until soft. Add the wine, orange juice, orange rind and redcurrant jelly, if using. Bring to the boil, then boil until reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper and add honey to taste. Cover and keep warm.
- Coat the sole fillets with the flour and season with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the sole fillets, in batches, and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Drain the rice and stir in the orange segments. Spoon on to a warmed serving dish and place the fish on top. Pour the sauce over the fish, garnish with parsley and serve immediately.