Lemon-Rubbed Lamb And Orzo Salad
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Finely grated zest of 2 unwaxed lemons and freshly squeezed juice of 1
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 300-g piece of lean lamb fillet
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large yellow pepper
- 250 g dried orzo pasta
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 400-g tin or jar artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons fresh or bottled pesto
- 4 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- A handful of basil leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- #This colourful salad can be made well ahead of time, just cook and add the lamb before serving. It’s full of the flavours of summer.# Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F) Gas 7 and the grill to hot.
- Combine the garlic and lemon zest with 1 tablespoon of the oil in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Rub this over the lamb and set aside until needed.
- Put the lamb under the hot grill and cook for 2 minutes each side, then transfer to a roasting tray and cook in the oven for 5 minutes for medium rare or up to 10 minutes for more well done. Remove from the oven, wrap in foil and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut the peppers into thick strips, discarding the stems and seeds. Cook under the hot grill until tender. Set aside.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the orzo and cook until al dente, or according to the packet instructions. Drain and toss with the remaining oil, lemon juice, peppers, cherry tomatoes, artichokes, onion and pesto.
- Place the salad on a serving platter. Slice the lamb and arrange it on top. Scatter with the pine nuts and basil leaves.