Lemon Buttermilk Bundt Cake Recipe
This old fashioned lemon buttermilk cake will quietly seduce you with its delicate lemon flavor and tender, moist texture. In fact, you’ll probably find yourself secretly slicing another piece when no one is looking. It’s the kind of cake that’s perfect for a late morning coffee klatch. an afternoon tea. or a casual pot luck supper with friends. Classic in its simplicity, you can dress it up with fresh berries and ice cream or enjoy it on its own. A delicious lemon cake recipe for your afternoon tea. SERVINGS: 8 PREP TIME: 15 Minute COOK TIME: 45 Minutes TOTAL TIME: 1 Hour CALORIES: 312
- 2 1/2 cups Brown Rice Flour Mix 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup lowfat buttermilk* (dairy-free version below)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure lemon extract
- 1 packed tablespoon grated lemon rind (see Cooks Notes) Lemon Glaze (recipe follows) or confectioners’ sugar for garnish
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Preheat oven to 350F Position rack in center of oven. Lightly grease a large 12-cup bundt pan (10-mchcs across the top) with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum. and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Beat eggs in large bowl of electric mixer until lemon colored. Add sugar two tablespoons at a time and beat until pale yellow and thick; scrape bowl. Add flour mixture, oil, buttermilk, vanilla, lemon extract, and grated lemon rind; mix at low speed for 1 minute, until well combined. Do not overbeat
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Place in center of oven and bake 50 to 55 minutes or mini a tooth-pick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean. Do not open oven for first 45 minutes.
- Cool cake on a rack for 8 minutes. Carefully remove cake from pan and cool slightly on rack Spoon Lemon Glaze (below) ova top of cake and let it drip down the sides, (or sift confectioners’ sugar over top of cake once it is no longer warm). Allow cake to cool completely before moving to a cake plate.
Serve slightly chilled or at room temperature. Can be made a day ahead. Store cake covered tightly writh plastic wrap m refrigerator. Cake can be covered with plastic wrap and then with foil and stored in freezer no longa than two weeks Best when eaten within three days of baking.TİPS: Although this cake traditionally has a delicate lemon flavor, you can add 1 extra tablespoon of grated lemon rind to create a more vibrant lemon flavor. *Substitute 1 cup water and 1/4 cup buttermilk powder for I cup fresh lowfat buttermilk. Dairy-free Buttermilk: combine 1 cup rice or soy milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice or distilled vinegar. Use only 1 cup of the combined liquid in this recipe. Brown Rice Flour Mix 2 cup finely ground brown rice flour (I recommend Authentic Foods) 2/3 cup potato starch 1/3 cup tapioca starch Authentic Foods also makes a blend called GF Classic Blend which is my Brown Rice Flour Mix already made up in a bag.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pure lemon extract 1 cup confectioners’ sugar