Healthy Diet Recipe: Avocado and Bacon on Rye Toast
It’s not surprising that avocado on toast has had a surge in popularity recently; not only is it easy to prepare but avocados are packed full of nutrients and good fats which help us feel satisfied after eating. To bring it to a whole new level of luxe, add a scraping of lemon curd and a rasher of bacon – fabulous for a weekend treat. You can cook the bacon using your preferred method but here it’s microwaved as no extra fat is required and it really intensifies the flavour—plus minimal washing up! If you dry fry or grill it, make sure you blot it on kitchen roll afterwards to absorb any excess fat.
- 60g (about 2 rashers) smoked back bacon
- lOOg rye bread (2 large slices or 4 small slices, max 190 calories)
- 1 tablespoon (20g) lemon curd
- 1/2 medium avocado, mashed
- Separate the rashers of bacon and lay them flat on a double thickness of kitchen paper and top with another double thickness of kitchen paper, place this on a microwaveable plate and microwave on the highest setting for 2-3 minutes, checking frequently in the last minute.
- Meanwhile toast the slices of rye bread in the toaster and spread with the lemon curd.
- Top each slice with the mashed avocado and, using scissors, snip the bacon bits on top.