Grey Mullet in Mushroom Sauce Recipe
- 1 grey mullet, weighing about 2 lb (1 kg) or 2, about 500 g/1 lb each, filleted
- Sunflower oil, for brushing
- #MUSHROOM SAUCE#
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 oz (175 g) button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 oz (50 g) chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 8 fl oz (250 ml) dry white wine
- 8 oz (250 g) tomatoes, skinned and sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Arrange the fish fillets in a large ovenproof dish, brush with sunflower oil and place under a preheated moderate grill for 5 minutes on each side. Cover the fish and keep warm.
- To make the mushroom sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and fry for 3 minutes, stir in the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in the walnuts, parsley and wine, season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Spoon the sauce over the fish and bake in a preheated oven, 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6, for 15 minutes, until the fish is just firm. Serve at once on a bed of crisp green vegetables.