Fruit Salad in Melon Basket Recipe
- 1 Medium watermelon
- 6 oz (175g) Black cherries
- 8 oz (250g) Mixed berries, such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries
- 1 Honeydew or cantaloupe melon, weighing about 625g ( 1 ¼ lb)
- 2 Large peaches
- 2 Large nectarines
- #For soaking#
- 2 oz (60 g) Caster sugar
- 4 fl oz (125 ml) Freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tbsp (30-45 ml) Grand Marnier (optional)
- #Easy fruit salad in melon basket. Any melon can be shaped as a basket or bowl for fruit salads. You may also find an alternative recipe with a watermelon basket here.# Melon casket with scalloped edge: Make a horizontal cut halfway round the top quarter of the melon. Turn uncut side towards you; cut 3 or 4 deep scallops.
- Pull off the top of the melon; scoop out and discard the seeds and fibres.
- Use a melon bailer to scoop out balls of flesh, then scrape out the remaining flesh so that the insides of the melon top and the base are smooth.
- Make a cut in the flat top edge of the melon base and insert the flat edge of the melon top into the groove so that it rests over the base at an angle.
- Mix the melon balls with other melon balls; pile them in the casket. #Melon bowl with wolves’ teeth edge# Force the tip of a chef’s knife down through the middle of the melon at a 45° angle, making a 1 cm (1/2 inch) slit.
- Remove the knife and reinsert it at a 45° angle to meet the tip of the first incision. Continue in this fashion around the melon until the wolves’ teeth meet at the first cut.
- Separate the melon halves, and scoop out and discard the seeds and fibres. Fill with fruit. #Simple Melon Bowl # Choose small melons and cut each one in half. Scoop out and discard the seeds and fibres, then use a melon bailer to scoop out balls of flesh.
- With a metal spoon, scrape out the remaining flesh so that the inside of each melon half is smooth.
- Mix the melon balls with other fruit and melon balls, and spoon into the melon bowls.