French Style: Mushroom Salad Recipe (Salade de Champignons à la Crème)
This simple refreshing salad is often served as part of a selection of vegetable salads, or crudités. Leaving it to stand before serving brings out the inherent sweetness of the mushrooms. #Variation# If you prefer, toss the mushrooms in a little vinaigrette — made by whisking 60ml/4 tbsp walnut oil or extra virgin olive oil into the lemon juice.
- 175 g/6 oz white mushrooms, trimmed
- Grated rind and juice of 1/2 lemon
- About 30—45 ml/2—3 tbsp crème fraîche or soured cream
- Salt and white pepper
- 15 ml/1 tbsp snipped fresh chives, to garnish
- Slice the mushrooms thinly and place in a bowl. Add the lemon rind and juice and the cream, adding a little more cream if needed. Stir gently to mix, then season with salt and pepper.
- Leave the salad to stand for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle the salad with snipped chives before serving.