French Salad: Lamb’s Lettuce and Beetroot Recipe (Salade de Mache aux Betteraves)
This salad makes a colourful and unusual starter-the delicate flavour of the lamb’s lettuce is perfect with the tangy beetroot. If you like, sprinkle with chopped walnuts before serving.
- 150-175 g/5-6 oz/3-4 cups lamb’s lettuce, washed and roots trimmed
- 250 g/1/2 lb/3 or 4 small beetroot, cooked, peeled and diced
- 30 ml/2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- #For the Vinaigrette#
- 30—45 ml/2—3 tbsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 20 ml/1 heaped tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2.5 ml/1/2 tsp sugar
- 125 ml/4 fl oz/1/2 cup sunflower or grapeseed oil
- 125 ml 4 fl oz/1/2 cup crème fraîche or double cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- First make the vinaigrette. Mix the vinegar or lemon juice, mustard, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper in a small bowl, then slowly whisk in the oil until the sauce thickens.
- Lightly beat the crème fraîche or double cream to lighten it slightly, then whisk it into the dressing.
- Toss the lettuce with a little of the vinaigrette and arrange on a serving plate or in a bowl.
- Spoon the beetroot into the center of the lettuce and drizzle over the remaining vinaigrette. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve at once.