French Recipe: Potato Salad With Sausage (Salade de Pommes de Terre)
This salad is often served in bistros and cafés as a starter. Sometimes the potatoes are served on their own, simply dressed with vinaigrette and perhaps accompanied by marinated herrings.
- 450 g/1 lb small waxy potatoes
- 30—45 ml/2—3 tbsp dry white wine
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 15 ml/1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 15 ml/1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 175 g/6 oz cooked garlic sausage, such as saucisson à l’ail
- A sprig of parsley, to garnish
- #For the Vinaigrette#
- 10 ml/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 15 ml/1 tbsp tarragon vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 75 ml/5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, cover the potatoes with cold salted water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 10-12 minutes until tender. Drain the potatoes and refresh under cold running water.
- Peel the potatoes if you like or leave in their skins and cut into 6 mm/ 1/4 in slices. Sprinkle with the wine and shallots.
- To make the vinaigrette, mix the mustard and vinegar in a small bowl, then whisk in the oil, 15 ml/ 1 tbsp at a time. Season and pour over the potatoes.
- Add the herbs to the potatoes and toss until well mixed.
- Slice the sausage thinly and toss with the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve at room temperature, garnished with a parsley sprig.