Exotic Fruit Salad Recipe | Easy Summer Salads
- 2 large Mangoes
- 2 Star Fruit
- 1 Pomegranate
- 1 Pineapple
- 2 Papayas
- 3 Kiwi
- #With modern transportation, exotic fruit are no longer restricted to their country of origin and we can enjoy different kinds of fruit from around the world all year long. They do not keep well, so buy fully ripe fruit and keep them as short a time as possible to use in this variation of Summer Fruit Salad.# Peel 1 pineapple (weighing about 750 g /1 ½ lb), then cut it lengthwise in half and remove the core. Slice each half crosswise.
- Cut the flesh into chunks and put them in a large bowl.
- Cut 2 papayas (total weight about 500 g/1lb) lengthwise in half. Scoop out and discard the dark seeds.
- Cut the papayas into quarters. Holding the papaya quarters with the skin side towards you, remove the skin from each quarter with a small knife.
- With a chefs knife, cut the papaya flesh into chunks the same size as the pineapple chunks and add to the bowl.
- Trim the ends of 3 kiwi fruit. Set the fruit upright on the work surface and trim off the skin in strips, working from top to bottom following the curve of the kiwi fruit Cut the fruit lengthwise into quarters, then slice. Add to the bowl.
- Cut 2 large mangoes lengthwise into 2 pieces, slightly off-centre so the knife just misses the stone. Cut the flesh away from the stone. Repeat on the other side. Discard the stone. Slash the mango flesh in a lattice, not cutting through the peel, then carefully push each half inside out, opening the cuts to reveal cubes. Cut the cubes of flesh away from the skin and add them to the bowl.
- Trim and discard the ends from 2 star fruit Cut the fruit into 1 cm (1/2 inch) thick slices and add them to the bowl. Shell 250 g (8 oz) fresh lychees with a small knife, remove the stalk end, and peel away the skin. Slit the lychee flesh on one side and remove the stone from the centre. Alternatively, drain a 250 g (8 oz) can of lychees. Add to the bowl. How to Remove Pomegranate Seeds?
- Remove the seeds from 1 pomegranate and add to the bowl. Soak the fruit salad as directed in the main recipe, replacing the orange juice with white wine and the Grand Marnier with rum. #TO SERVE#