Easy Pasta Recipe: Asparagus Tagliatelle
- 250 ml single cream
- 300 g dried tagliatelle pasta or similar
- 1 bunch of fine asparagus, trimmed and each spear cut into 4
- Grated zest and freshly squeezed juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 100 g finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- #Young asparagus is one of life’s great gifts, but don’t miss its rather short seasonal window, especially the British asparagus season which really kicks off in May and ends in June. This is a perfect pasta starter, combining the prime spears with a handful of other fresh, good-quality ingredients.# Put the cream in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes, until slightly thickened. Set aside.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, or according to the packet instructions. About 2 minutes before the pasta is cooked, add the asparagus to the boiling water.
- Drain well and return to the warm pan with the reduced cream, lemon zest and juice, parsley and half of the Parmesan.
- Toss together, season well with salt and pepper and serve with the remaining cheese sprinkled on top.
- Variation As a substitute to asparagus, pan-fry 1 grated courgette in 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat until softened and golden. Add the courgette to the well-drained pasta along with the other ingredients.