Easy Fish Recipe: Spaghetti Alle Vongole
- 3½ pints (2 litres) fresh clams
- ¼ pint (150 ml) pint dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 750 g/1½ lb tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) spaghetti or spaghettini
- Scrub the clams under cold running water to remove all sand and grit. Discard any that do not close when tapped. Put the clams into a saucepan, add the wine, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Strain, reserving the liquid. Remove the clams from their shells, discarding any that have not opened.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the garlic until just golden. Add the tomatoes and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Bring at least 1.8 litres/3 pints water to the boil in a large saucepan. Add a dash of oil and a pinch of salt. Cook the pasta for 8-12 minutes, or according to packet instructions, until tender.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the clams, the strained cooking liquid and parsley to the tomato mixture, and season to taste. Heat through for 5 minutes. Drain the pasta thoroughly and mix with the sauce over a gentle heat. Transfer to a warmed serving dish and serve immediately.