PREP TIME: 20 min
COOK TIME: 50 min
READY TIME: 1 hour 10 min
CALORIES: 249 (per serving)
⇓ You may also listen to the recipe by pressing the play button below.
- 4 blood plums, seeded and chopped
- 155 g (5 oz) butter
- ¾ cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups ground hazelnuts or almonds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
1 Place plums in a food processor, process until smooth and set aside. Place butter and sugar in a bowl, and beat until light and creamy. Add eggs and beat well.
2 Stir plums, hazelnuts, vanilla extract, flour and baking powder through egg mixture and pour into a greased 20 cm (8 inch) round cake tin.
3 Bake in a preheated 180°C (350°F) oven for 45-55 minutes or until cake is cooked when tested with a skewer.
4 Stand cake in tin for 5 minutes. Serve hot with thick cream and extra slices of blood plum.
Calories: 249.4 Kcal
Fat: 9.8 g
Cholesterol: 59.3 mg
Sodium: 205.3 mg
Potassium: 96.5 mg
Carbs: 39.4 g
Protein: 2.5 g
Vitamin A: 9.5 %
Vitamin B-12: 1.7 %
Vitamin B-6: 1.5 %
- Cloves impart a strong flavor to the cake. You can substitute ground cinnamon, allspice, or nutmeg if you prefer.
- To increase the sweetness, drizzle a glaze made of 1/2 cup confectioners sugar, 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract onto the cooled cake. Replace the vanilla extract with fresh lemon juice for a tart glaze that would pair well with berries.
- Sprinkle crushed almonds or walnuts onto the streusel topping before you bake the cake.