Crostini With Onions Recipe
- #Caramelised Onion Topping#
- 6-8 red onions, peeled, halved and sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 16 slices of baguette
- #It is a surprisingly easy to prepare starter which, I’m sure, you’ll make over and over again. Crostini Is served with many different toppings. It also pairs well with clear soup.# Cook onions in the oil in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring once in a while for a few minutes.
- Add the sugar, reduce heat and cook stirring until onions are softened completely and are deep brown in color. Season to taste. Cool to room temperature. Prepare crostini as explained.
- Top each crostini with one heaped tablespoon of onion. Place an olive on each crostini. Drizzle with olive oil and serve immediately.
- If you are not rushed for time, do not add sugar to the onions but sauté them in oil over medium heat long enough (15-20 minutes) for moisture to evaporate and natural sugars to brown.
- Stir the onions frequently to ensure even browning. The onions may require an additional 20 minutes to become completely caramelized.
- They should not burn around the edges. Caramelized onions freeze well up to three months and can be used in various other recipes. So it may be worth to prepare a large amount at one time.
- Of course this will definitely require patience in front of the stove.