Crispy Fish with Chili Recipe | Chinese Foods
- 450g/ 1 lb fish fillets, skinned, bones removed, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tbsp oil
- 6 tbsps milk
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 tsp grated root ginger
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- 2 tbsps tomato chutney
- 2 tbsps dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsps Chinese wine or dry sherry
- 2 tbsps water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 red chili, seeds removed, and sliced finely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- #Choose your favorite white fish for this recipe.# Sift the flour with a pinch of salt. Make a well in the center, and drop in the egg yolk and oil.
- Mix to a smooth batter with the milk, gradually incorporating the flour. Beat well. Cover and set aside in a cool place for 30 minutes.
- Whisk egg white until stiff, and fold into batter just before using.
- Heat oil in wok. Dip fish pieces into batter and coat completely. When oil is hot, carefully lower fish pieces in until cooked through and golden brown — about 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Reheat oil and refry each fish piece for 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Carefully remove all but 1 tbsp of oil from the wok.
- Heat oil, add chili, ginger, garlic, chili powder, tomato paste, tomato chutney, soy sauce, sugar, wine and water, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir well over heat for 3 minutes. Increase heat and toss in fish pieces. Coat with sauce and, when heated through, serve immediately. #TIME# Preparation takes 40 minutes, cooking takes 30 minutes. #COOK’S TIP# Choose your favorite type of fish for this recipe.