Cream of Fennel Soup Recipe
A smooth and soft soup with a slight anise flavor that is also deeply satisfying.
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 large fennel bulbs, chopped
- 6 – 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup cream or soy cream
- Sea salt and white pepper
- Toast fennel seeds in a pan over medium heat for a few minutes. Transfer into a mortar and grind with a pestle. Sweat the onion and garlic in butter for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the ground seeds. Then add chopped celery, leek and fennel. Season and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir from time to time.
- Pour in stock and continue simmering for another 10 minutes. Purée soup in food processor.Then pass it through a sieve into a soup pan, pressing with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Stir in cream and season with white pepper.
- Serve grilled cheese sandwiches on the side.