Crab Soup with Ginger Recipe | Easy Chinese Cuisine
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ leek, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium-sized crabs
- 3¾ cups fish stock
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger root, chopped
- 1 tsp Sake Chinese wine (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- #This delicately flavored soup, with fresh crab and a hint of ginger, is perfect for serving at a special dinner. Preparation takes about 40 minutes and cooking takes approximately 35 minutes. It takes about 30 minutes for the crab to cool, before you can comfortably remove the meat with your fingers.# Make a vegetable stock by putting the carrot, onion, leek and bay leaf into a saucepan with a large quantity of water. Bring to the boil and add the crabs. Allow to boil briskly for 20 minutes or until cooked.
- Remove the crabs when cooked and allow to cool. Once cooled, break off the pincers and break the joints, cut open the back and open the claws. Carefully remove all the crab meat.
- Bring the fish stock to the boil and add the ginger, Sake and the crab meat. Boil for 15 minutes.
- Check the seasoning, adding salt and pepper as necessary. Serve very hot. #WATCHPOINT# Allow plenty of time for opening the crab and removing all the meat. If time does not permit preparing fresh crab, use canned crab meat. #COOK’S TIP’S# Prepare the soup the day before serving. If allowed to rest overnight, the flavor of the soup will develop deliciously. Reheat gently just before serving.